Java is one of the powerful object oriented computer programming language and computing platform first released by Sun Microsystems in 1995 .From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere!
History of Java :
Java was originally developed by James Gosling ,Patrick Naughton,Chris Warth at Sun Microsystems Inc in 1991 (which has since merged into Oracle Corporation Inc) and it took 18 months to develop the first working version .This language initially called “Oak” but was renamed java in 1995.
About James Gosling :-
The Man Behind Creation of Java, He did the original design of the Java programming language and implemented its original compiler and virtual machine. He has been a contributor to the Real-Time Specification for Java, and a researcher at Sun labs where his primary interest was software development tools
Java linkage with c and c++:
java is related to c++ which is direct descendent of c .Much of the character of java is inherited from these two languages .
- From C , java dervies its syntax .
- Many of java’s object oriented features were influenced by C++ .
Features of Java :
- Java is object oriented programing language .
- Java is both compiled and interpreted .
- Java is platform independent .
- Java is case sensitive .
Three Different Edition of Java :
- J2SE stands for ” JAVA TO STANDARD EDITION ” also known as core java .
- J2EE stands for ” JAVA TO ENTERPRISE EDITION ” for enterprise softwares .
- J2ME stands for ” JAVA TO MICRO EDITION ” for mobile device.
Note : If you are android beginner then you must have basic knowledge on core java
Major release versions of Java, along with their release dates:
- JDK 1.0 (January 21, 1996)
- JDK 1.1 (February 19, 1997)
- J2SE 1.2 (December 8, 1998)
- J2SE 1.3 (May 8, 2000)
- J2SE 1.4 (February 6, 2002)
- J2SE 5.0 (September 30, 2004)
- Java SE 6 (December 11, 2006)
- Java SE 7 (July 28, 2011)